Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Pasuquin Biscocho

Since I was a kid, my cousins have been making biscocho at the Pasuquin Bakery. Their product, to quote a friend, has become "an edible landmark" of the province, as it is known far and wide--reaching the far corners of the world, wherever there are Ilocanos.

Unlike most biscocho which is made using stale leftover bread, Pasuquin biscocho is made using freshly baked bread, specifically made to be toasted. And unlike the usual biscocho, Pasuquin biscocho is not sweet. Rather, it is flavored with anise (the same flavor you taste in absinthe). My cousins tell me the recipe was made by one town old-timer, the late Timot Josue, who was trained in one of the Spanish style panaderias of colonial Manila. His assistants, Sixto and Estefania Salmon, deduced both the ingredients and the process through careful observation and measurements.

Lolo Sixto also served as baker to the American forces temporarily stationed at Victory Road, south of the poblacion, after World War II. From his savings, he put up what is now called the Pasuquin Bakery, currently being managed by his only child, Manang Esperanza Alvarez, better known as Pansing.

Practically every bus, jeepney and private vehicle makes an obligatory stop at the Pasuquin Bakery, with everyone ordering biscocho. Because of its immense popularity, the freshly baked soft bread is now also on sale--perfect with cheese, or condensed milk, or Spanish style sardines. An enterprising neighbor now sells biscocho sandwiches at Shore Stop, right across the Shell gas station immediately south of the poblacion, on the way to Bacarra and Laoag.

5 comments:

christine said...

Hi Rene! I still dream about the biscocho from the Pasuquin bakery. It's absolutely delicious, good enough to eat on it's own. You are so lucky it's in the family and you can have it anytime! :) thank you for 'introducing' us to the Pasuquin biscocho during our last visit to Sitio.

ChichaJo said...

Hi Rene! So nice to find you here in the blog world :) I too still dream of the Pasuquin biscocho...and how I wish there was an easier way for me to get to it then via plane! :)

Hope we bump into each other again some time! I really enjoyed that night of the Juan Luna stories :)

By any chance would you know where I can find that cookbook you were telling us about (the one of his grandmother was it? or his wife's grandmother?)? I'm so curious to see/read it and maybe get recipes :)

mmmmm said...

Rene my father is the son of sixto salmon so my aunt is not the only child out of respect to my father,next time please mention him as he grew up on the bakery baking the pastry that you brag about.marcos and mark aguda son and grandson

Elmer I. Nocheseda said...

Well I would love to know more about the Pasuquin biscocho. I hope I could buy it somewhere her in MetroManila.

Do you have their contact address tel number in Pasuquin?

Kindly e mail me at

nochesedaelmer@gmail.com

Salamat

Perry said...

very nice .....i was once a baker for the PASUQUIN bakery too during my early years of my childhood. i use to work with Manong Marcos Aguda, the late Manong Norman Cabel, my nephews Jojo, Joel, and Boyet Alvarez....I believe Manong Marcos is Mark's dad.....Above all thanks very nice website